Music I Write To


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Poltergeist?

It's been a busy couple of days, with Halloween and all, and, I'm ashamed to say, I haven't written anything in two days. But I don't feel super guilty, since I wrote so much last time, and I'll be writing more today.

Speaking of last time, I am kind of starting to understand what all these writers say about a story gaining a life of it's own. It's almost like a poltergeist takes over the keyboard, or my train of thought, or something, and just does what it wants through me. I'm just a tool to these characters I've made up. It's almost kind of scary...but mostly it's really cool. ;) I sat down to write a scene...and did most of a chapter, in a totally different direction than I had originally planned. In fact, one of my characters completely did a 360 from what I'd thought she would do. I haven't gone back to edit, because I never go back and read what I've written until much later, but I have a feeling I'll be taking a little bit of what I have in my head, and what I've actually written, and fuse them together.

I'm constantly reminded of why I love writing and English, and why I dislike science and math. In math, 2+2=4. Period. In writing, there isn't a single right answer, or wrong one. Everything is completely open to interpretation, free to take any avenue you, or the character, wants to take. If you get to a wall, you don't have to scale it. You can go around it, or you can just go back and write the wall out of the story, and write in something else, like, I don't know...a waterfall. Seriously, how awesome is that?

As usual, writing about writing is making me want to write. However, I have to wait a few more hours, so I'll just keep thinking about what I think will happen. I'm sure they (my characters) will completely surprise me anyway!

No comments: